Did you know?

Ben Foord, the South African born heavyweight who won the heavyweight championship of Great Britain on August 17, 1936 had such large hands that he gave promoters headaches during the early stage of his career. As a preliminary boxer he was hardly worth the bother of obtaining special gloves to fit his ham-sized hands, and when he fought Johnny Squires in a six-rounder, the gloves had to be cut through the palm with a knife before he could put them on.

During 1890 Jan Silberbauer, a muscular heavyweight, fought Barney Malone, who
was seldom more than 140lb (63.50kg), in the Orange Free Sate for a side stake
of four hundred pounds. After five hours and thirty minutes of fighting, the two men stumbled to the centre of the ring for the 212th round. Siberbauer just stood there unable to raise his hands and Malone was declared the winner. The toll taken
by the longest fight under London Prize Ring Rules was shocking. Silberbauer did
not fight again for three years and it took Malone a full 12 months to recover from
his injuries.

In one of the shortest reigns as a champion in South African boxing history, George Angelo won the national welterweight title by outpointing Alf James on a rainy night at Wembley Stadium in Johannesburg on January 24, 1948 and only 28 days later on February 21 James showed the young Angelo tricks he had never heard before while outpointing him over 12 rounds.

The Ring magazine’s monthly ratings published in December, 1933 listed Don
McCorkindale as the fifth best heavyweight in the world. This was the highest ranking to be given a South African heavyweight by this prestigious publication until the era of Gerrie Coetzee and Kallie Knoetze some 45 years later.

When Vic Toweel stopped Jackie Johnson in the fourth round in Springs on June 27,
1949, his purse was only seven rand.

Jack Eustace one of the most respected amateur trainers this country has ever
had, took part in 30 amateur fights before a motor cycle accident in 1926 ended his ring career.


The first fight to be billed for the South African light heavyweight title took place in Johannesburg on May 20, 1933 between Eddie Peirce and Dave Carstens who won a gold medal at the 1932 Olympics in Los Angeles. Peirce won on points over 12 rounds and later that year went overseas. He never defended the title which remained vacant for seven years.


The first two men to contest the South African junior flyweight title were Dexter
Dhlamini and Elliot Zondi. Dhlamini won on points over 12 rounds in East London on September, 30, 1978.

Arthur Douglas, considered by many to be one of the greatest fighters ever produced in South Africa, was born in a house in Maitland Road, opposite the Salt River Railway workshops, in 1885. It was this site that the British Oak Hotel was built and stood for several decades.

Willie Smith was regarded as certainty when the trials were held to select a team of Springbok boxers for the Olympic Games in Paris in 1924. But Smith was
given unexpectedly stiff opposition in the bantamweight finals by Harry Tyrrel,
whose son, Aubrey became a Springbok and one of the best goalkeepers in South
Africa 30 years later.

Marcus Temple was 18 years old when he won a bronze medal at the 1950 Empire
Games held in Auckland, New Zealand.

Roy Ingram, who represented South Africa at the Olympic Games in Paris in
1924, made his professional debut in a 20-rounder against Reggie Hull for the
South African welterweight title in the Johannesburg City Hall on December 6,
1924. The result was a draw.